Think about Streaming Services 2024 Edition
Streaming services are revolutionizing content delivery. Linear media companies are in a panic, as they watch their traditional cable services deteriorate. Cutting the cord is a popular practice today, but the streaming landscape still has some flaws. We’re a decade in to streaming, so let me share my thoughts: first impressions and second thoughts.
- Netflix is king because it has the first mover’s advantage and has made smart financial decisions over the last six month. Netflix’s content has nothing to offer.. The recent winners are USA’s Suits as well as content licensed from Max…They need to do better…
- The biggest losersThe current streaming landscape Is the sports fan. Want to watch American Football? You’ll need Peacock and Amazon Prime. Soccer fan? If you are a MLS fan, you will need Peacock, ESPN Plus and Paramount Plus. AppleTV Plus is also a good option. It is expensive to be a sports fan..
- The parent companies of HBO, Showtime and Paramount Plus killed their brands by introducing “Max” and Paramount Plus. The fuzzy fade-in and brand name of HBO are iconic. “Max” means nothing. This stupid change in brand has killed a part me.
- Streaming services used to lure us in without advertising, but now they know that the ad levels generate more revenue. Now They’re trying us out for a priceAds are used to convince us to select the cheaper, ad supported tier. Smart business, but I will pay more to avoid ads.
- Apple has all of the resources in the World but they treat the streaming service as they do everything else: Offer an unremarkable itemAnd skate off of the name. Ted Lasso, Shrinking and everything else are fillers.
- …and charging people for Killers of Flower Moon during holidays, and then giving it away for free when people return to work. This is a shameful money grab.
- Amazon does not offer nearly enough exclusive content. These tech companies have a half-in, half-out strategy.
- Warner Brothers Discovery licensing content to Netflix, especially the Marvel Comic Universe, because they need fast cash feels like self-own. How do you grow Max by giving your best content to a better service?
- AppleTV’s hardware has a very elegant interface, but I’m disappointed they didn’t offer a gaming option. Roku feels like a Super Nintendo console in an N64 world.
- Free streaming is a great option if you do not want to spend any money. YouTube, RokuTV, Tubi, and other services offer great content at no expense.
- Disney Plus offers a great selection of old movies. My kids rarely watch itNetflix is their favorite place to watch cringeworthy shows.
- A big frustration is the absence of a “previous button” on cable remotes. It is difficult to navigate between channels on YouTubeTV…
- It would be great to see AppleTV and Roku join forces. Allow users to run two apps simultaneouslyLet us build our multi-view.
- StreamEast’s convenience is so great that I want to abandon all of my other sports streaming services.
Do you agree or disagree? What did I forget? Let me know below in the comments!
David asked me to do a guest post, where I would choose some of my favorites Pens from CodePen. It was a daunting task! There are so, so many! I have chosen a few, though, that have truly blown me away in the past few weeks. If you…
This is one of the hardest things I’ve ever written, let alone admit to myself. I have written resignations from jobs I have loved, I have ended relationships, I have failed at a number of tasks and let myself in my life. All of those feelings…
CodePen has been a great source of inspiration and ideas for code and designs. I am constantly amazed by the demos that users create. You’ll see that I am drawn to things that move. Here are my top five favorites!
If you’re still rocking an iPhone and fancy taking a photo every now and then, you’d be crazy not to be using an app called Instagram. Instagram allows you to take photos in the same way as you would do with your iPhone camera, but Instagram…